View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #11
-Greg72

Re: Shock Recommendations - 4" Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970BannerBlazer View Post
Second scenario. I’ll only catch air on speed bumps. Interesting on the shackle tightness. What torque level should I shoot for?
The main issue is that if the springs were installed on a lift the shackle will be out-of-position when the mechanic cranks down all those bolts. That can capture the bushings in a position where they will not want to rotate and "settle out" once the weight of the truck is back on it. It would probably be good to just jack up the front axle to get the tires off the ground slightly. Then loosen the upper and lower shackle bolts partway... then lower the truck.... and torque to spec when weight is fully on them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970BannerBlazer View Post
I know the 5100 are good but maybe they just aren’t right for my truck. Springs are hard to change. Shocks aren’t. I have a few hindered extra pounds in my nose that most don’t with the 454. Maybe that’s the problem.
Big blocks are cool, but it makes no difference to the shock. Springs support the weight of the truck not the shocks. If your engine is heavier, you will need a higher spring rate to achieve a given ride height. The shock is dealing with the motion of the unsprung mass (axle, tires, brakes, etc). The type/weight of the engine does not change the shock valving requirement.

-G

1972 K5 - 502BBC/4L80E/Magnum205/Mog-9s/5.26s/38" BFG KM2s

Find me on INSTAGRAM @MIGHTASWELLK5

'72 K5 - Greg's "Might As Well™" Build
-Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote