View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #15
-Greg72

Re: New Tuff Country EZ Ride Springs Bouncy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
TBH, I wouldn't put anymore money into it because you already have excellent components. Spend some time now and tune the front end by use of shims, alignment and a front anti-sway bar if you already don't have one.

If you talk to the Bronco guys, they are dealing with the same problems and it all boils down to the short wheel base.

I think the only fix would be to get a Suburban!

Things like increasing caster, alignment and front swaybar are more like "Round 2" upgrades.... none of them will really improve the issue the OP is complaining about. But once the spring rate / shock package is worked out those are all good suggestions.

In the good old days, I ran a set of custom ORD/Alcan leafs up front. It was a 9-leaf (thin) pack with an overall rate of 237Lb/in. SOFT!!!! Flexed like mad and drove awesome on the road... however, it immediately amplified the bumpsteer from the lousy stock GM "push/pull" draglink... which was fixed with crossover steering. Caster was set to around 6 degrees so the return-to-center feel was great and the truck tracked nice and straight down the road. The ultra-soft springs were an issue on twisty roads and had a lot of body roll. You can't really fix that with shocks.... ultimately, a late-model Blazer swaybar was added (with ORD disconnects) to make the street handling more acceptable.

It's a balance for sure. A soft riding spring with good quality shocks and swaybars is probably going to be best all-around compromise.

PS. This is a BBC truck also, not that it matters.

-G

1972 K5 - 502BBC/4L80E/Magnum205/Mog-9s/5.26s/38" BFG KM2s

Find me on INSTAGRAM @MIGHTASWELLK5

'72 K5 - Greg's "Might As Well™" Build
-Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote