View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #495
sscooter

Re: faux-tina paint jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazattitude View Post
I agree! Keep it natural patina
Someone had taken a natural patina on my '63 truck and spray canned primer on the complete truck. It was a nasty primer job. It was peeling off and didn't sand at all....another reason why I had to strip the truck first.

about 12 years ago, I bought this '65 C10 out of Kentucky. It had 3 coats of paint on it with the last coat being a Rattle-can (Rustoleum?, Krylon?) job... It too was flaking off, and made the truck look like crap..... The rattle can coat was about 3 shades darker than the original light blue, so it REALLY stood out!

I started messing around with it, and realized that if I took a razor blade and held it at a 90 degree angle to the body, I could SCRAPE that top layer off!!!!

The coat underneath was thick enough that it allowed me to wetsand and buff it out to look like this.... (only pic I have handy right now)

I had about 40 hours in scraping, wetsanding, buffing, detailing to make it look presentable, but it was worth it.

The worst part, was that my asphalt driveway was stained blue, and required a re-seal....lol
Attached Images

sscooter is offline   Reply With Quote