View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 02:48 PM   #499
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: faux-tina paint jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscooter View Post
Here's my '66 Short-Fleet. Original paint Texas truck. Not faux-patina, but a representation of what a faux patina truck should be shooting for with the correct primer bases. (Black oxide for front clip and box, and red oxide for cab/doors)

We believe the truck was stored in a lean-to with the drivers' side facing south...so that side of the truck is WAAAAY more sun-faded.

Photo of drivers' side before trying to shine it up (going to take some work!)

photo of passengers' side showing that there is still life left in old paint. Toughest part is the hood as it has "textured" rust. CLR and a 3M red-scuffy pad, followed by 2000 grit on a oscillating sander prior to buffing, and it puts a bit of shine back in it. Truck will get ceramic coated once finished. Does a good job of keeping the flash rust at bay, especially on bare/smooth steel.

I don't know what my problem is, but I'll take a truck that looks like this, over one that is "show floor".....
I'd be tickled pink if I had original natural patina.
I personally think every best attempt, even those professionally done, still don't look right. I don't knock someone for trying, it's their truck, do it the way they want. My goal was more of a truck that had been painted several times over the generations and the old paint is wearing through.
I may haven't hit it as well as my vision, but my fauxtina is more because I don't want to have to worry about scratches and dings.
A guy saw me at a gas station and said my truck would be nice if I gave it a paint job. I said, but then I'd have to worry about it.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote