View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 08:09 AM   #104
McDeezl

Re: '72 GMC long/fleet in Ottawa area

Hey Brant and thanks!
For paint and body do's and don't the biggest would be base/clear instead of single stage. Single stage was supposed to be simpler and one-shot because clear is already part of the paint but I found that it was too fragile and prone to scratches so added clear on top of that. Base clear would have been so much better in all ways but a bit more expensive. Now that I've been through it lots of things learned such as the importance of getting all panels on complete and mocked up for fit before final body and paint work. I ended up going in stages which made things more complicated but didn't have a lot of choice unfortunately. Other thing is I ended up having this love/hate thing going with the body and paint. I was intimidated by it from fear of screwing it up because it was first time. Spent more time (wasted) trying to convince myself to go down to garage and go at it than actually going at it. If I was ever to do it again would have much more confidence and know how from mistakes made to get better results in much less time. But would I do it again?? Highly unlikely! The mechanical and electrical absolutely no problem any time heavy equipment mechanic for 40+ years its in my DNA but body and paint not so much but life is about challenges and learning new things too right.
Yeah Havelock isn't that far so if you ever feel like a day trip to come and check things out and chat no problem at all. If you have a project on the go you may be interested in an ad I put on Kijiji for leftover parts and material, a lot of it body panels in pretty good shape.
Cheers
Sean