View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 01:30 AM   #2867
Sheepdip

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

A while back I put new cab mounts on Otis, never understood why someone would go to all the trouble to pull the cab, paint it then re-install it on the old broken-down cab mounts? Maybe it's just me, anyway after the install I took it over to a fellow to completely re-align the doors, fenders and hood which he did a slam dunk job. Very thorough.

He also installed the missing rear inner fender bolts (one each side) that connects to the forward cab area.
After I picked up the truck, I had this definite pronounced clunk right underneath my clutch foot heel whenever the frame would flex from turning, pothole, approach etc. that was not there before.

It was about to drive me crazy trying to pinpoint it, I finally noticed that the sheet metal formed for the horn that the inner fender bolts to was just folded/mated together with no apparent welding spot or otherwise, so I drove a shim in it, and the clunk was no longer there. Bingo! Now I could slightly hear one on the passenger side but not as pronounced.

Got underneath and wire brushed down to bare metal, c-clamped it back together and welded the outer lip of what appeared to be about two 12 ga lips together both sides of the truck...whisper quiet now popping is all gone.

I borrowed this pic from another thread to show you the area I'm referring to.
Attached Images

Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote