View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #487
special-K
Special Order

Re: Pic Thread: Station Wagons

That's an early one, a "flat front", and a window van. You can tell the owner knows exactly what he has and put a lot into it. This isn't California. You just don't see vehicles of that era preserved so well. This guy put into that Astro what you see guys do to pickups. It's just clean and subtly customized. Most people wouldn't take a second look, or would need to look at it a while to realize it was anything out of the norm. I dig the color with red cloth interior. The masses moved away from mini-vans the same way they moved away from station wagons. The uncool stigma hit them, soccer mom/grocery getter. Then, once gone we look back at them and now say "That is so cool!"

I had a girlfriend for a while who drove a white Cavalier wagon. Everyone called it a grocery getter. I thought it was cool. In their time, they were one of the only remaining station wagons. The others you would see would be BMWs, Volvos, Mercedes, etc. Ironically, those were all good for being a status symbol. It was like saying "Station wagons are uncool, unless they are Eurowagons, because those are expensive". The perfect "run to the ski slopes" machine.

But there comes along the Cavalier Wagon, an uncool wagon built from an uncool car. Well, I saw them as pretty dang cool actually. And I learned to respect the Cavalier when I saw so many in the first body style running around when other cars of the same age were not a common sight. It was a great young people car, started car (IMO). They reminded me of what the old slant 6 Darts and Valiants became. Run them into the ground/drive to the junkyard vehicles. I like seeing the Euro wagons done up the way they do the sedans and I'd like to do a Cavalier that way.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote