View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #53
OneOffStroker

Re: Restoration insanity

I've had my '57 since I was 13 years old (40 now) and it has been through a few iterations, but only driven for a few years when I was in high school. Joined the Navy and it sat while I was overseas in Japan for a few years, then Hawaii for a few more years. I eventually came back stateside and got the truck shipped to my new home. I began updating it now that I wasn't a broke teenager, and it got a Jag IFS, and a fully custom rear suspension with a 4th gen Camaro axle. I built an engine, and then it was time to deploy to Afghanistan. The truck couldn't sit outside my house, and there wasn't room in the garage, so I disassembled it and stacked the pieces Tetris-style in the garage to make it fit.

Eight years later, it's still disassembled, but in a different location. The engine that I built is now in my '72 C-10, and the frame is about to get cut up (again) because I have something I want to use for the front half that will make it way more bada$$ than the Jag IFS.

But there's more...
I have 13 cars total, and about five of them can be considered 'drivers' even though they all need some work...some a LOT more than others. I am the guy who has ideas for cars he wants to build, and as soon as a decent one comes up for sale, I secure it because I'm afraid that the year/make/model just won't be around anymore when I have the time to actually work on it. That is a rational 'fear' although owning 13 project cars in itself isn't actually rational. Oh well.

I do all my own work and have bought more tools than I have room for. This is one part of the 'restoration insanity' that I will always promote to someone who has a project: BUY THE TOOL! You know you'll need it, and it will cost less in the end than hiring someone to do the job for you, and you have it for later on in the project when project creep comes along and you want to do more...or you buy your next project car.

I build my cars on video and put all my builds on YouTube, which is another reason I don't mind having so many project cars. I post build threads here and elsewhere to shamelessly promote my channel and my brand. When I'm done with the Navy in a few years, I plan to do cars on YouTube full-time, and eventually I might finally earn enough to make my countless hours of labor worthwhile, all the while helping the car communities by showing teardowns, engine builds, tips& tricks, and other useful stuff with some humor mixed in from time to time.
Attached Images

OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote