View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 06:59 PM   #2
HotWheelsFan

Re: Suspension questions

Heavy duty springs give 3/4 - 1 ton trucks a stiff ride, especially in the rear. My 3/4 ton is stiff and I'm OK with it...

I had a 1976 crew cab 1 ton dually and it was very stiff riding. It had a dual leaf spring type of overload spring set up with an extra leaf or two above the regular leaf springs on each side. They would come in contact with a set of pads or brackets mounted to the frame. They would normally be a couple inches away from contacting them until you load the bed down. They would add extra stiffness when loaded. Anyhow, I took a couple leafs out of my main set and added them to the top stack to work with the overload set when my truck was loaded down.

Taking 2 leafs out of my rear springs made a huge difference in making my 1 ton much nicer to drive with less stiffness.

I think 73 - 80 factory front coil springs may only have 4 options? 1/2 ton with sm. block, 1/2 with big block, 3/4 - 1 ton with sm. block, and 3/4 - 1 ton with big block... Might be similar to 67 - 72 model years.

Lighter duty springs might be more comfortable and lower it a little. Nice shocks also help with ride quality.
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote