View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 11:17 PM   #8
Willowrun

Re: Opinions on 6.2 diesel

I've had several, all military versions though. I've sold off all of the M1009 Blazers but will stick with my '93 military van as long as I'm around which has a non-turbo 6.2 and a 4L80 which is a great combo. They aren't as slow as everyone thinks and get great gas mileage. I love 6.2's.

They do make a ton of racket with the mechanical injector pump though so that's something you'll have to consider. I've never driven a civilian model and those had better sound deadening. My dad's '97 cummins truck is just as loud if not louder FWIW. I like the noise in something I'm not driving daily.

Check under the injector pump (top front of engine) if at all possible for signs of fuel leaks. The seals go bad and once they're leaking it's typically rebuild time. There's a shop in MI that is pretty good once you have it out of the vehicle which can be fun. Putting it back in and bleeding the lines is fun too.

Also listen for an erratic idle as this can be a sign of a bad injector pump.

When starting it, the 6.2 should start fairly quickly even in cold weather. Cycle glow plugs, pump throttle once, turn key at 1/8 throttle and it should fire right off. Missing and white smoke at start up are a sign of some glow plugs not working too well but not overly concerning as long as it cleans out and is running on all 8 within 5-10 seconds. When cold it should run on high idle for a couple minutes then automatically kick down to low idle.

They are a low RPM engine. Rev it too much and bad things might happen. Definitely sounds like they will at high RPM anyways.

Looks like I was changing a headlight when I took this pic. I use the van for hauling dirt bikes and parts to swap meets.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote