View Single Post
Old 05-31-2022, 12:54 PM   #12
CAMAROBOY68SS

Re: Pet peeve: SPID says "400" for 402 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloGMC View Post
Ah. Well if you're asking for speculation on why it was that way, you've come to the right place. I would guess the advertising department has a hand in engine designations, especially when they become associated with a submodel/package. I'm sure most people know Chevy wasn't the only one with inaccurate engine designations
The marketing department played a big part of why the 402 stayed the 396 in passenger cars. The brand recognition to a 396 was established and know to consumers. Just changing the badging could cause more confusion and drops in sales on cars. I mean they could have made the switch in 70 on the Chevelle and Camaro with the new styling, but they didnt due to just that brand presence 396 had already established and really a majority of people would not know why the change when it looks exactly the same visually.

As far as the trucks no clue as to why they went with 400. My own guess over the years was that at some point there was talk of adding the 400 small block to the optional engines, so they you would have 1 badge for 2 engine options, save money. The the small block never got offered in the 69-72 trucks.

I know I am more than likely wrong with that thinking, but it made sense when I was 12 when my grandpa dragged home a 72 big block truck and I had that thought as well at the time.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote