View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 05:20 PM   #29
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Holley carb question

Thank you guys for all of the responses. Some time has passed and I still have the 1850-3 although a little more tuned to my engine. Found out p.o. did a lot of tuning to this carb for his engine as well. Like capping off the fresh air vent for the electric choke so that it burned up the choke coil spring. So now its wired straight open all the time. Also installed a aftermarket power valve shield which consists of a hollow base plate screw with a check ball that acts like a vacuum signal passage for the power valve and the check ball will seal off that passage in the event of a backfire. The only thing is you have to block off the factory vacuum signal passage in the base plate with a lead slug and peen it over. Well he didnt do that, so I used a aluminum pop rivet ground down to a taper and driven in and peened over. Those two things alone cleared up about 80% of the problems I was having. I still get a weird whistle sound when I'm pedal to the metal and it's going through the power band. He also clipped the secondary diaphragm spring. So I bought a spring kit and ended up with the brown one but I think it's too stiff as I can only get the secondaries to kick in for a bout a second. So I'm gonna swap in a lighter one since I did all this other correcting of things and see how it reacts now. But over all I agree that holleys make more power than edelbrocks. I've had the truck up to where the speedo needle is about 1/8 inch away from 0 on the factory speedo. And it still had more it in. But that was fast enough for me. I'm ok with that.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote