View Single Post
Old 06-26-2022, 07:54 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Re: My ersatz P03 hubcaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverfish View Post
Very nice work on the hubcaps. That should be an example for others, maybe with blue bowties, gold bowties, etc.
And after looking it up I now know what ersatz means.
I still need to look it up. I've been telling people they need to look into the Chevy car hubcaps for years. Especially on trucks that aren't done to be original. It's nothing new. hubcap swapping was a common thing back before custom wheels. I prefer the look of wide steel wheels with hubcaps over mags, and on my first '72 I ran wide steelies with '55 Chevy hubcaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
Those look great! Wonder if a guy could do something similar for C20 caps.
Unfortunately no. The 8-lug bolt circle requires a larger hubcap. We are limited to 69-75 or 76-91 hubcaps, or other brands. 1/2t hubcaps are far more plentiful with many options. It's tougher with GMCs since there is no car counterpart, unless you go to BPOs. That's how I'm doing my '67 GMC. I have original caps but also a set of '65-'72 PMD caps. Right now I have '54 Chevy hubcaps on the rollers. Other than to be original, I think Chevy made a lot of better looking hubcaps for cars. Until you look close it's all the same look
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote