View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #47
PbFut

Re: Removing 4 Repair NL2 Aux Tank

Thanks everyone for the replies but I still do not feel we have a complete answer to the question at hand. I started this thread to somewhat document the details of the 1 year only 1972 factory option NL2 Auxiliary Fuel Tank. Long story how I came to this point and maybe topic for another thread, but in any event, the question right now is on the factory switch used in the option. Getter-Done posted a photo in post #40 that I had seen a few weeks ago while searching and it confused me a bit as to where the factory location was for the switch. My truck has a toggle switch in the same location as Getter-Done. My truck also has the original factoy sticker on the dash. What was confusing to me was if the original switch was in the location of the toggle or if the factory had placed or intended to place the switch in the instrument cluster position 2 below the light switch. There appears to be room for the factory switch shown in post 40. I realize now that the ware marks on my dash is not from use but from the bezel used on the factory switch. So I assume that even though the factory could have used position two on the interment cluster it must have been mor efficient to simply drill a hole on the metal portion of the dash. What is also clear is that the original factory switch was probably not very robust as I have only seen toggle switches in use. The photos below I posted for documentation. With Instrument Panel removed you can see the available mount which was could have been used for manual chokes though I believe they were mounted below the wiper switch on opposite side of the steering column. The ware marks on both sides of the toggle switch are not from use but from the original factory bezel used on the factory switch. The marks line up perfectly to the bezel used on the instrument cluster for the factory wiper and light switches. I have a suspicion that it was intended the switch be in position 2 on the cluster and a labeled in the style of the lights and wipers be used. Likely the expense of changing the cluster was too great to justify, so they simply slid the install to the left and called it day. Pictures below show my truck with a previously swapped toggle switch, how a factory bezel covers ware marks indicating this was the factory location of original switch. And a couple shots of original switch plug hacked to use the replacement toggle.
Attached Images

PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote