View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 10:06 PM   #10
RoyL

Re: Another Soft Grip Steering Wheel Thread - Hub Does not engage enough splines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS View Post
I used a 67/68 Camaro Hub on my truck with no issues, I even checked with 68 Camaro and its original tilt, wood wheel and hub and no issues even with my truck being a non tilt. There are 3 different hubs actually that Chevy used, but mainly the 67/68 Camaro version and then the 69 and later are the most common. The third is the 63-66 Corvette hub. It lacks the little milled area for the bottom spoke as their wheels were no offset like the later wood and comfort grip wheels.

The splines are guts are the same between a 67/68 hub and a 69 hub. The 69 is just visibly larger in overall diameter.

Buick also used the same wheel for a bit and their hub works as well, but its a little different. Its diameter is just slightly larger than the 67/68 Camaro style.

As for your column you should be able to adjust the shaft a little to get the hub tighter to the column case. I had to do that on my column, as for the spline engagement, might just need to file the splines a bit to clean up the grooves. The hubs are cast so it might be a little fuzzy and not allowing it to seat down properly. I pulled the best pics I have from when I was putting mine together. I run these wheels in pretty much every car I have, but I mainly use original hubs.

That's what I have read (in blue). SS396 wants me to try the 69-7 hub... based on what I've read, it'll fit the same just look like it's mismatched with the column diameter.... I'm gonna see if they do some measuring or send me one to swap out.