View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 08:23 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Re: what happened to Brothers

I think Brothers was experiencing growing pains as the demand exploded, their parts development increased, and the public expectation rose. They are a business that started without the internet and adapted without hesitation, continuing to expand. I saw a change in the way warehouse based businesses do things at some point in the 80s or 90s. Probably due to use of computerized management. I'd go to a business for a product from the manufacturer they were the distributor for and I'd get "We don't stock that, special order, no returns". They started tweaking their inventory to be what sold the most. It created a vicious cycle. If they don't stock blue then nobody sees blue to want blue so they order the colors they see, so those colors sell the most. The special order color becomes more expensive due to full cartons-only and no return. That brought the sales for that color down even more.

Keeping a warehouse stocked with everything you offer is a very difficult task for a business. Lots of money on the shelf. That's why we see the big box business model surging further and further.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote