View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Many states and cities have a law that says something like no vehical should have excessive noise from the exhaust...or something close to that.
The problem is...define excessive. Excessive to you or me is one thing, but to some one like my dad (who is a real PITA on this subject) if he can here the engine from more than 10 feet away or so, then that is excessive in his opinion...and he was a cop...writing out many tickets in a small red neck town in north western Ohio (Kenton) for almost 10 years. (granted it was a mayer's court town) Also, in a small town just south of here (Grove City) when I was in high school, they were givin out tickets to trucks with 250 and 292 inlines that had glass packs. (!!!)
The only thing i can find that may actually save some one's ass in this situation in court, is the federal noise act, which I think was 1972...look in the door jamb of any Semi, there is a sticker stating that it complies with said act. I have yet to find any solid info on what it says or what was permited before that...but if there was no noise act before, then our rides should fall under that grand father clause.
That is the one thing to remember though...excessive to the cop and judge is not the same way you define excessive...and they are the ones that will make your life h*ll.
I say run them and don't rev it up at every light...I pop my truck out of gear most of the time when passing by a cop, I don't want the BS hassle of getting pulled over, even though I am pulled over once a week or so for seat belt. (I have it on...they just can't see it)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote