View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Ride quality, Air Suspension vs Spring Suspension

I had air bags on all four corners of my Burban. A basic system with a 4 manual control valve block and 4 guages. The truck would ride very good but the devil was in the details.

The reality of air bags is they are very pressure sensitive. For example the truck would ride great with 85 psi in each front bag but, if the pressure drops to 80 psi the ride is noticeably poorer. Go to 90 psi and the ride was hard and bouncy.

Additionally you have to engineer your ride height to match the exact psi your truck needs to ride great. Unfortunately you won't know what psi works best until you drive the truck. That's where systems like RideTech are worth the money.

With a manual system you are always having to add air to the bags to keep the ride quality. Usually air had to be added after the truck was parked once on the highway it was rare to need to add air.

This leads to the whole additional cost of a computer controller. Then do you go with a pressure sensor for each bag or do you go with a ride height sensor on each corner? Each has its plusses and negatives. This is one area it appears you get what you pay for. There are lots of sad stories about cheap controllers that don't work and have no customer support.

After several years and at least 20k miles I removed the front bags and went to springs. I still have bags in the rear.

These are just my opinions and I hope they help your decision. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote