Thread: Well dang it…
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 01:40 AM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Well dang it…

I was 19 years old when my Dad taught me how to use a clutch. We had a '61 Mercedes 190 [~2L i-4, w/ a 4-on-the-column shifter. I called it a 'Mauser Bolt Action.' Same H-pattern as an SM465 but off the floor. Like the 465's Granny Gear, the MBz had a low 1st. On flat streets you could take off in 2nd.]
We used out of the way shopping malls with big, empty parking lots.
I had never heard my Dad cuss before! I burned up the clutch before I got the hang of it.
The Mercedes guys laughed when he brought it in for a new clutch disc, and gave him a deal.

I have broken about 3 or 4 exhaust valve springs on my 292. Never the same one. I replaced them all after the 2nd, and it's happened again. Now I'm cannibalizing springs off a '63 292 core. None of those have broken. We have it down to a pit stop. Cycle cam to that cylinder's valves closed, pump compressed air into cylinder via a compression tester plug fitting, compress spring with tool, R&R spring, put half clips back on, release spring. Usually it's right back in tune and runs great without an extensive valve adjust session.
My machinist thinks my cam lobes are going, due to not knowing about ZDDP being taken out of motor oils. Now I use Valvoline Racing SAE30 exclusively. It has the right ZDDP levels.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-27-2022 at 01:46 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote