View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #19
vintovka

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Yes. Very frustrating but still a bucket list challenge at 73+. I have a good guy in the wings to do some long needed repairs including the leaks and steering issues. The poor electrical work prompted me to tear out about half the wiring and start making repairs. The "rats nest" under the drivers side dash was driving me nuts. So far i tore out all the old make shift connections to the original 84 GMC chassis harness and leaving only the primary functions. In process of replacing the burnt battery cable and adding heat shields as needed. Also added gold plated battery lugs with multiple wire attachments.
Again trying to try to keep the 84 harness for all the primary functions and adding a second sub fuse box for all the interior accessories like radio, heater, wipers etc.. First sub fuse box is for the exterior stuff requiring relays like electric fan, exterior lights, horns and stuff. Again shoulda replaced the original 84 harness but now too late. Also adding heat shields to cables and wires anywhere near the headers.

I also removed the wiring to both the dash and gauge panel ammeters. Already have a accessory voltmeter and will try to convert the indash ammeter to a voltmeter as well.

After this hopefully i can hang up my tools and relay on others to do any future maintenance of a serious nature.

I should rename this thread "54 years ago i started this restoration"
Attached Images

Last edited by vintovka; 07-29-2022 at 11:00 AM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote