View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 08:05 AM   #1309
MP&C

Re: 55 Wagon Progress

Thanks for adding those resources, good to have..

More progress on the wagon, we're getting some of our wiring run to the back of the car...

In cutting out door panels our upholsterer cut out the speakers a bit too large for how we were mounting them. I don't think I had conveyed those details as I had planned on doing the speaker cutouts portion.. So to keep him from having to do that work over again, we offered to cut them out this time around.

6-32 Riv-nuts used to hold the tweeter grill in place...

8-32 machine screws were sharpened to transfer the hole pattern onto the panel, then our speaker spacers matched to those for cutting out the center hole.

Next, holes drilled for our stainless trim that we had welded the impaling pins on prior....

The stainless trim would be needed for upholstery, so we got to polishing.. A board was drilled to accept the impaling pins and better hold the trim piece for our prep stage of removing 67 years worth of scratches. Also worked well in holding things steady at the buffer..

We used 3M Trizact on the DA, starting with 1500 grit and finishing with 8000 grit. This process cuts out the first two buffing stages, and seems to polish out nicer. Buffing process was using green rouge on sewn wheel and final was grey rouge on loose wheel.

https://youtu.be/REH9gLXxaco

This is after 3000 Trizact:

This is after 8000 Trizact:

This is after buffing:

That'll do pig, that'll do.