View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Sway bar thickness handling differences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
As Already Gone stated the improvement is very apparent (in a good way!). Going to a 1-1/4" factory bar is one of the best "Bang for your buck" improvements you can do for your truck. I too got a squarebody 1-1/4" bar from a wrecking yard for $40.

Going larger than 1-1/4" will have diminishing gains with the chance of other handling issues. GM knew what they were doing so 1-1/4 is the largest bar they installed on trucks C30 and smaller.

Rear sway bars have a less noticeable effect on handling for the average truck. Once you do other modifications towards handling then the benefits become more apparent. That being said Suburbans and trucks with campers and other loads that raise the center of gravity of the truck will see more gains from a rear bar.

The sizing of the rear bar for a C30 Longhorn with a camper will be different for a C10 short bed, whereas both of those trucks would use the same 1-1/4" front bar.

If you're planning to install a rear bar talking to vendors and reading the "Make it handle" thread will help you determine what size and configuration of rear bar is appropriate for your truck and driving style.

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=419251
I'll be looking into that thread shortly. I went from Michelin to Firestone Transforce tires, and even with 10 psi more pressure in the rear tires, it still oversteers. It's unnerving. I'm kind of used to it now, and can compensate. My wife would panic if it did it to her. I'll get it as neutral as possible. I don't corner hard, and I don't drive it over 55 mph.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote