View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 05:57 PM   #32
LNP

Re: 1968 GMC 250 Inline 6 4.1L Chugging

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmcdude View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I am not a certified mechanic, but what does setting the points with a dwell meter vs manually have to do with them becoming corroded and pitted?
A gap setting is more of a starting point. Back in the day I use to wrench fullt ime and what I did was set peoples points with a match book cover to get it running. Faster to grab than a filler gauge and then find the one you need. Then hook up a dwell meter and dial them in better. The dwell setting is a more accurate setting. I even kept a match book in my glove box incase the points slipped on the car I drove. lol I dont think you will have crap clogging the sock in your tank as you said you have a new tank fuel lines and pump. If you do change gas stations. Another thing kind of related to crappy gas is water in the tank. The place you get gas from may have a lot of water in thier tanks or if you got gas while the fuel truck is filling the stations tanks. And in that case you can have crap in the new tank and water. If you dont find an issue have someone crank it over while you hold the fuel line hose in a jar. Get a good sample then let it sit. The sample that is. After a good while look at the fuel in the jar. If theres water in it you will see it on the bottom of the jar. Water is heavier than gas so it will settle to the bottom.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote