View Single Post
Old 08-27-2022, 11:38 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Worlds most accurate oil pressure gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I can't imagine an internal problem in oil flow that could cause such an instant response. I agree, the gauge must me failing. Until you replace it you can enjoy the privilege of having the world's most accurate oil pressure gauge
It's just a Bourdon tube, and unless it's leaking in some weird way, the only explanation I have is that there is internal leakage in the engine. I'll make an example- let's say a rod cap is loose (not yet big time, or spun). The leak and pressure drop will correspond with the location of the cross-drilled holes in the crankshaft, as shown by the rapid fluctuation of the gauge. That's just one example, maybe it's a leaky lifter. I don't have any definitive answer, tbh. But having worked with machinery for decades, changing the gauge should not change what the video shows. I'm honestly stumped by this phenomenon.

As for Steve1967's comment, the only thing I'd expect is more rapid response to a change in oil pressure, but I'm not convinced that it would be that rapid. Again, I don't have an explanation, but that gauge doesn't agree with any oil pressure sensing I've ever seen.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote