View Single Post
Old 08-29-2022, 12:49 AM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

I installed a new Cigar Lighter in my '68 C/10 Stepside. The old one shorted out when the spring-loaded positive tip of a plug [going to a recharger solar panel] broke off and crossed the ground to the hot. Fried up a lot of wires under the dash. I had the Dash Panel and Heater Controls off or hanging down to get a good look. While the Red line feeding the Cigar Lighter burned its insulation off, none of the other wires near it were burned. Some had charred lengths of Cigal line stuck to them. I chackefd all the lines, and reinforced any singeing with E-tape. T prevent a repeat, I spliced an inline fuseholder w/ 15 A fuse between the Cigar tab on the fuse block and the lighter socket.
While I had the Speedo cable loose, I disconnected the other end at the SM465 -- pulled the flex cable out of its sheath and dusted it with graphite lube. I think I noticed a 2 Mile bump on the Odometer. It was reading 234 before. After I reassembled the Dash, Ash Tray, Heater Controls and tested the Cigar Lighter for function, the Odo read 236.
Go figure?
Since my Fuel Gauge has been reading Empty lately, I'm dependent on accurately guessing my mileage and fuel intake level.
I did a 20 mile run to test and check my systems and the Cigar socket, as a port for my GPS. I still notice a little wobble in the Speedo needle at 60 MPH (indicated) [62 GPS]. I may need more miles to settle in and read right.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote