View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
ballencd

Question Re: 91 Suburban, under dash lights stay on but the dome lights do not come on.

Fixed....I think, but not sure if what I think it was is possible??????

I inspected all pillar switches and cleaned while they were out with a wire brush. I also pulled the light fixture under the dash and both ceiling fixtures while I was at it. The rear ceiling fixture was a replacement by PO and was wired differently than factory but it has been working that way for several years so I am not going to look there for the problem at this time.

By the time I got all the switches back in place and had inspected everything..... the under dash lights had started working again with the door switches but the ceiling lights were still not working.......strange.....???

I found the horn fuse (also powers the ceiling lights) blown, no power to the ceiling lights but the under dash light uses a different power supply and it still had power.

I found a metal ring in the cigarette lighter hole behind the USB charging adapter that looked like it came off some other plug that had been in the hole prior to this point and not noticed. I removed the ring and replaced the fuse and everything works as designed so far.

I suspect that the metal ring blew the fuse (horn/ceiling light) and then back supplied the under dash light with a ground that made it stay on all the time taking out my battery. I'm not sure if that's what actually happened or if it could but I think it did. I do not have schematics that I can trace back and verify.

What do you guys think? Could this happen?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know...????:
1991 Chevy Suburban (5.7TBI/TH700R4/NP241C)
ballencd is offline   Reply With Quote