View Single Post
Old 10-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #3826
mr.mud1

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
So you know what I mean. I learned no so long ago that coal and iron was a big part of Nova Scotia history.

How about this place I know nothing about. The soil and rock are red in this area which is where Francis Scott Key's estate , Terra Ruba, is located The house is the same stonework. This building is a corn crib. Just the ends are stone. The rest is framed with vertical wood slats.
so cool.thanks for sharing.my Dad left here when was about 16,went to Toronto cause if you stayed here,your future was going to be underground.he couldn't wait to get away but later in life,he couldn't wait to get back home.this is a Unesco World Heritage site now.there's rock hounds here all the time from all over the world studying 300 million year old fossils found on the beach and in the cliffs and the Joggin Fossil Center is built on the site of Old # 7 Coal Mine.pretty neat.the first commercial coal mine was started here in 1731.the Joggins Railway,all 12 miles of it went by the bottom of where we live now,back and forth from all the mines to the wharf to ship coal all over the place and to England.Sydney steel was started in Sydney,Nova Scotia in 1901 and there is a Museum of Industry in New Glasgow,Nova Scotia.very interesting.there was a Volvo plant in Halifax for years starting in the 60's and the first one produced is in that museum along with a 1900 something MacKay car,built in Amherst,Nova Scotia,apperantly the only one or one of very few,i just forget,to ever be found?all fascinating stuff if that's what turns you on.it does me.take care.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote