View Single Post
Old 11-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #5
Joyridin

Re: LS Oil Pan Alignment Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM72 View Post
I'd generally agree that it shouldn't kill the trans pump, but after 2 failures... I'm grasping at straws here. It could be possible that the torque converter has some runout, but I don't have the equipment to check that. I'll pull the flexplate and check the oil pan alignment again. On my blazer, I may have to pull my engine cross member to get it out. I'm tempted to loosen and tap forward, but I have a feeling the RTV joints might either leak or resist moving.

The major symptom is 2 failed transmissions with low miles. Pump was shattered on the first one, don't know about the second rebuild but I lost all pump pressure. Dowel pins are in, torque converter clearance was 1/8" each time, crank end play is good, runout of new flexplate is .008" max. Not sure what else to check. My trans builder is a highly respected speed and performance guy. Very meticulous and I trust he isn't doing something wrong here. But something isn't right....
I highly doubt .010" would even break the RTV seal. RTV flexes more than that.

Are you sure your torque converter isn't massively out of balance or something? Again....010" isn't going to mean anything on the oil pan.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote