View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #166
SCOTI

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
scoti, thank you! yea I was really disappointed in myself.... the wife was very surprised (happy) that when I realized what happen that I did not have lightning strike me down!! the rebuilder indicated that the OG engine crank had the "yellow" markings on it as well as the rings where not "aligned" like should be. he was positive that the engine had been worked on previously to my circumstance, he indicated that although i did not help the situation, the damage was already being done & would not have lasted much longer-even if i had put oil in. although the weird thing is that the engine never sounded off or appeared to run "weird/noisy". these new fangled LS motors!....LOL!!
I scored a 5.3 winter of 2021 (the week between x-mas/NYE). Was supposed to be motor/trans/exhaust manifolds/ECU/pedal but when he showed up the price was the same w/no trans. Supposedly running/driving combo that worked well (the guy was upsizing to a stroked 6.2 set-up). I passed it to my buddy who was only going to put a mild STG-II truck cam in it..... until he saw the cam journals & bearings. Wound up getting all new bearings, clean-up work, w/honing/polishing & going back together.

The $750 'deal' turned out to be a ~2k rebuild w/all the tweaks.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote