View Single Post
Old 12-22-2022, 02:00 PM   #11
68panelman

Re: 15" x 6" OE wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
I went the tall-skinny route on my 72 Blazer. It has original springs (around stock height) and I run a 33" tall tire on a 15x7" wheel with good backspacing. Because it is skinny, I really don't need a lift kit and don't have any rubbing. The neutral wheel offset makes steering really easy and responsive (relative to an old truck).

I think 235 section-width is probably most common. But I think you could reasonably use a 255 or 265 section-width tires. 15x6 should probably run a 235/75r15. It'll be hard to get a tire much taller than that, as most metric sizes maintain a similar width-to-sidewall-height ratio up and down the range of sizes. You might put a 31x10.5 on, or even a 33x10.5, but wouldn't suggest it.

I myself run 33x10.5 on a set of 15x7 slots. Gives the tires a nice look. I personally don't like the way 1.5" wide tires look on an 8" rim, and i feel that 6" is a bit too skinny.

Now if you bump up to a 16" wheel, you could run a 255/85 if you want a tall skinny look. These are approximately 33" overall diameter.

Aftermarket steelies get a little tricky. Many won't support mounting of a dog dish hubcap. Unless you mount some sort of clip on there yourself. They also tend to have too much backspacing. 4" is about ideal, but many have 4.25" or even 4.5" which gets a bit too close to the tie rod end, and also may cause the tires to rub on leaf springs when at full-lock turn.
Great info, thanks for that, for some reason I was not getting notifications on my threads?
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote