Thread: 47-55.1 Long Time Coming......
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 04:04 PM   #158
gsinon

Re: Long Time Coming......

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
Nice work!! The washer trick is a good one.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
what are you using to sand stuff off? it looks pretty course in the pics. do you use a lighter grit then epoxy and high build or skim with filler maybe?
I am using 100 grit rolocs on an angle die grinder. In my career the one big mistake I see people make is going over too fine of a scratch with either filler or epoxy depending on which camp you are on that topic.

Most people apply filler incorrectly also. The first coat should go on thin and really tight. Meaning to squeeze it into the scratch in the panel. Once that is done go back over and "fill" the area needing the filler. Just slathering it on as a lot of people do can risk it "bridging" the scratch in the metal or primer and have adhesion issues. Charley Hutton taught me that one.

I am a firm believer in epoxy before body filler. I know some people swear by it and say they haven't had any issues. But I have seen far too many failures from rust corrosion creep back later on because they didn't put the epoxy down first. A good friend of mine is the Evercoat rep for the Northeast. I asked him what their position was on the topic, especially when on the can of expensive Rage body filler is says DTM, Direct to Metal. He says all that means to them is that it will stick. For corrosion purposes they even say epoxy first.

Now to be clear I am mostly referring to restoration/hot rod type stuff. A collision center that only has 3 days to fix a car doesn't have the time to epoxy first and then let t sit and cure for a few days before doing filler work.

Ok... I'll jump off of my soapbox now!
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856

Last edited by gsinon; 12-30-2022 at 04:16 PM.
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote