View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 08:42 PM   #850
Kronald_70GMC

Re: My 1970 GMC “Project Splice”

Well today was a successful day in the shop for sure. I had recently decided that I wanted to replace all of my seat springs. I figured I'd better do it while they are right out in the open. I'd hate to have the seats done down the road and then have a broken spring after the fact. They were looking pretty pitted and worse for wear where the seat cover had been ripped anyway. I picked up some new Zig zag springs in rolls from the local upholstery shop and watched a few videos and away I went. I'm very happy that I decided to do this. According to research the seat springs are supposed to be something like 9 gauge. Then the back rest springs are 11 gauge or something along those lines. The replacement back rest springs are nearly identical in every way, same gauge and they feel exactly the same for tension as the old ones. Where I really noticed a difference was in the seat springs. The new ones are considerably larger gauge which at first I thought they may be to big but after installing one seat worth and comparing to the old springs, it is a much more comfortable seat. I threw down some cushions on both and I couldn't believe how much nicer the seat felt even though the springs are so much stiffer.
Attached Images

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote