View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 10:24 PM   #13
Roust

Re: Two Steps back. My high school chevy 1950 3100

Now it is time to begin some major mistakes.
I have never welded anything that mattered before and starting your cab on your classic vehicle is a **** way to start.

Started with the firewall and some LS fab panels.
Before everything goes down hill let me be clear. LS Fab parts are great and their customer service is excellent.
The problems that occurred were due to user install error.

It's funny looking at the pics nothing looks too far gone, but I will tell you, I have tons of burn through, extremely thin metal from excessive grinding, and massive warpage due to heat.
I turned my firewall in to an ocean of bulges and ripples and paper thing metal.

Lessons learned:
-mind your gaps. Get everything to fit up nearly perfectly before committing to welding them in. Don't assume that filling gaps with weld is the way to go. It's not.
-heat from grinding ****s things up as much as heat from welding.
- chasing perfectly smother weld areas can lead to excessively then metal. The weld area creates a W shape a high near the base metal, a low, then a high on the weld bead, a low, and the a high near the base metal. chasing that around with a grinder will **** your **** up!
-And watch out for those knotted wire stripping wheels! They are worse than your pissed off ex wife, but they might not do quite as much damage.

Ultimately I had to throw in the towel and look for someone to fix my. I gave mistakes.
I had given up on the cab at this point and decided to drop it off to someone who could handle this work better than I could.
AND OF COURSE this choice turned out to be a total disaster!
Attached Images

1950 Chevy 3100. S10 chassis
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=841909

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 02-05-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Roust is offline   Reply With Quote