View Single Post
Old 02-13-2023, 02:11 AM   #23
R&B51

Well, I appreciate all the responses. There sure is a lot of pretty good gear out there for hot rodders. Thanks for good advice. Talked for sometime with Ididit technical. Sure are good folks to deal with even before I bought this from them. I have one of their units in my 73 bronco with about 30,000 miles on it/restomod completion and still going strong. I think they’ve got my business. They advised me a way to get it done but so far off the usual way these are installed that they were skeptical of how easy it would be. I really like the floor shifter ideas but I’m pretty dead set on having a bench with 3 person seating, plus the slide out electrical component shelf under the seat.
Looks like short 16 inch universal tilt column shift from Ididit leaves enough room for shift tab, coupling to clear inner firewall bearing. I will use a wide fabricated tube clamp to attach to the notch I have in the dash Between the 2 gauge holes. I will clock the shifter tab on the end of the column where it works upward instead of downward. Talked with some professional transmission, cable manufacturers, and they can make one that goes straight up under the dash from there curls around and goes down the inside of the firewall to penetrate, then go on back under the cab to the 4L65 a transmission in the back. It helps that it is one of the four-speed models. Pillow block type firewall bearing will help really stabilize the assembly at the firewall. Planning to measure in wooden dowels, then order them round with flats to DD on the ends. That will avoid having a gap going through the bearing on the firewall. Maybe 2U joints because it’s a pretty straight shot and a flexible joint to absorb vibration as I get to the steering box. Plenty of room between frame and headers.
If it works, and I get it all done, I’ll try to remember to come back and let you all know.
Posted via Mobile Device
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote