Thread: 55.2-59 welding question
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 12:26 PM   #3
e015475

Re: welding question

Quite a few years ago I restored an old sports car. It had some pin-holes in the sheet metal that I was too lazy to fill. I wire brushed then acid etched the pinholes and they were covered with the skim coat of filler, then on to paint.

I had the car for 4-5 more years then sold it. A couple years later I got a note from the president of the car club I'd belonged to. It seemed my car had been exported to Austria and the new owner used the car club sticker in the windshield to track me down.

The new owner had driven the car in rain and climate conditions it never experienced in its life in Arizona, and she asked my why it had rusted so soon and the paint was bubbling around the area of the pinholes. I was a little embarrassed and told her the car was never exposed to rain or moisture in Arizona - I never anticipated that it would be a problem.

I guess the moral of the story is you can't ever completely clean the pin hole and given the right conditions, rust will always find a way to come out.

Since then I've always put a strong light source in back of a panel I've patched and look for pin holes in the weld and fill them with metal.

YMMV
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote