View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #10
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Question for the Electrical Gurus; Distributer not getting juice during cranking.

[QUOTE=RichardJ;9184594]>> How the heck does the ignition circuit get it's electricity during cranking.<<

"I've removed most of the unnecessary wires from this drawing. I'm showing four wires on the Ign sw, although only three are needed to start the engine.

Pink 12 volt wire:
This wire is hot (12volts) when the key is in the Run position and the Start position. This wire feeds the inside of the bulkhead connector and plugs into the ballast wire that is in the outside of the bulkhead connector. This pink wire also connects to part of the fuse panel that is Hot in Run and Start positions."

This is the part of the puzzle that I don't get; On the 2 switches that I have, the Pink wire (attaches to the "Ign." post and that post is only hot in "Run" position NOT during "Start". The ONLY hot pin on the back of the switch during "Start" is the "Sol" (purple wire). So there must be a connection from this Purple wire to the Ign. circuit but I don't remember how this occurred after the HEI conversion. Anyway, wouldn't the solenoid stay activated with current coming from the ignition circuit during "Run"? Thanks.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote