Thread: Vortec 6.0 cost
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 12:28 PM   #5
Jason Banks

Re: Vortec 6.0 cost

I bought a 2002 Silverado 2500 with a Utility Body at a local Auction. Not wrecked, nor an insurance auction like Copart or IAA. Just a local auction selling a truck.

It had about 160,000 miles. This was before truck/car prices went crazy, but in 2020 I think. Came with no key, but that wasn't a big deal to me. I had bought a Suburban from copart that came with no key so I knew how to bypass. I actually took a different path with the Silverado and got the key cylinder out and took it to a locksmith who cut a key by feel.

Truck ran and drove great. But, the AC didn't work and the Heater core was bypassed. I paid about $2700 for the truck all in. I figured if the AC and heat worked it was worth $4000+. I bought the truck because I wanted the engine and trans but felt like I overpaid. So I figured I might try to sell it whole, or If I could sell enough parts off it to make the engine and trans cheap I'd part it. Was able to sell the Utility Body for $800 and that made up my mind to part it.

Sold a few other parts and then some guy wanted a fender, then a door and then he said how about the whole thing. I said come get it.

I figured I ended up with just over $1000 in the Engine, Trans, Harness, Computer, etc....

I completely resealed the engine and put new cam, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, water pump. Cleaned and painted it.

Took the trans and had it rebuilt for $1500, re-builder said it had lots of wear. I was thinking I probably didn't need it rebuilt since it rand and drove fine and probably would have lasted a long time in my swap vehicle without doing so.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote