View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 03:06 PM   #14
OregonNed

Re: Proper way to check Rear Diff Gear Ratio??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamariv View Post
What was the cost to have this done so I have a bit of an idea if it will be worth it or not. What gears did you go from?
My rebuild also included an upgrade from 3:08 open differential to a new POSI with 3:42 gears. The shop was just changing ownership from a long time owner to a new father and son business. The father apparently knew the owner for many years. I had my driveshaft balanced and at the owners recommendation I had the work all done as the pinion bearing seemed suspect, and I thought the upgrade would be good.

During the rebuild, he changed everything - new bearings, new gearing, one new axle, etc. He charged me about $1200 including tax. After the work, and when I drove it home, it whined horribly from the rearend. I promptly took it back to complain and to have him test drive it. He blamed all the noise on the transmission - and I knew it was OK. In the end, the new owner agreed to rebuild it once more at his expense to make it right. He claimed the ring gear was messed up because of initial excessive wear, and it not being installed correctly.

He did the rebuild and told me it "sounded better" - He claimed this by getting it on the freeway, and hammering it hard to make sure it was "broken in" - well, I attempted the recommended drives to break it in, and the howling was bad if not worse still.

At this point I didn't trust taking it back. I decided to eat the cost as a lesson learned, and found a local mechanic who knew what he was doing. I reinstalled the diff, and broke it in and it was quiet and running like it should be. The new mechanic found the bearings for the new POSI carrier extremely galled up, as well as the other bearings from jamming it in and out. So in the end I just went back with a new ring and pinion at 3:08, and kept the new POSI. Again, about $1000 I think this time - also the other axle replaced too. Extremely happy with the new mechanic!

Sorry for the long winded answer, but really suggest making sure the shop is up to the job if you have it done.