View Single Post
Old 03-11-2023, 11:43 AM   #287
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

I'm using the CPP center crossmember for lowered trucks, along with 2" lowering blocks under the axle. In this pic the rear suspension is about 1/2 way through the amount of available travel, and as the truck drops more the driveshaft will contact the hoop in the crossmember. Has anyone else experienced this? To correct this my first thought is to cut the top of the hoop off and weld it back in with as much clearance as the cab will allow, but not sure that's the way I wanna go just yet.

Another factor in this pinion angle debacle is the transmission mount. If I were to lower it in the frame it would help with the clearance issues in the center crossmember hoop, but it will also increase the downward angle of the motor / trans combo. The 6L80E trans has an oil pan that hangs low, so I really don't want to do that.

My rear diff is currently pointed up at 6 degrees and the transmission is down at 4 degrees. Since I need to tilt the rear diff down at least 2 degrees, I considered cutting the needed angle into the 2" rear lowering blocks. Basically, instead of adding the typical shims to get the correct pinion angle, get the same result by removing material from the blocks.

What do ya think SCOTI?
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote