View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 09:54 PM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Radiator confusion = Is it Possible the l6 250 Rad is the same as the 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamariv View Post
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing a full service on my cooling system to get it ready before the hot weather hits.. I did a flush today and was planning on bringing in my original I6 250 rad into the rad shop to get it steam cleaned and pressure tested. My Dad had a good point suggesting I see what a bigger new rad would cost instead of dumping money into the old one. I was thinking of going bigger so that I've already got that angle covered if I decide to go with a SBC in the future.

I called my parts guy and he said his system shows the L6 250's rad the same as the 350 SBC for the 1971 year. I also checked Rock Auto and they suggest the exact same rads as replacements for the L6 and the 350 as well.

Is this possible??
No. The OEM style L6 radiators were about 4'' narrower across the front. That's why there are duplicate sets of frame nuts in the radiator bulkhead about 4'' apart on the passenger side.
The P/Ns show the same piece now because you could not get an L6-0nly radiator to save your life. They just quit making them.
You can only get the V8 radiators. Good if you live in high heat country. Much more cooling surface.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote