View Single Post
Old 04-07-2023, 10:05 PM   #298
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

Trying to make some more space in my shop. Now is a good time to install some of the fuel system. I mapped everything out a while back and I've been sitting on all these parts for some time. Sorry for the chicken scratch.

I started out by installing fittings #1 and #2 into the fuel tank. These are both NPT threads so I needed to use pipe sealant. I decided to use swivel fittings for the entire system to keep things from binding up. I installed the fittings hand tight and then tightened them two to three turns with an adjustable AN wrench.

Next, I had to decide where I wanted to mount the fuel pump. It is recommended to keep the pump close to the tank and lower than the bottom of the tank. Well, the tank is the lowest point at the back on the truck, so I just needed to find something close, low and away from heat and moving parts. Before I could mount the pump, I had to prepare the pre-filter. For this, I used a 100 micron filter. I installed the mounting brackets onto the filter and installed the #3 and #4 fittings.

To connect the fuel tank to the pre-filter, I used black nylon braided hose. I decided on how I wanted to route the hose and measured for how much hose I needed. I was sure to add 2% extra hose to allow for expansion under pressure. I used an angle grinder to carefully cut the hose square. I trimmed the frayed nylon on the ends and blew the hose out with compressed air. Using assembly lube and AN wrenches, I installed -8AN hose to the fittings on the tank and pre-filter. I protected the hose with 3/4 ID silicone flame guard. To finish it off, I used shrink tubing to seal off the ends.

Next I had to mate the fuel pump with the pre-filter. Before I could do that, I had to install fitting #5 and #6 into the pump. These two fittings are both o-ring port fittings so I had to use assembly lube and be super careful not to overtighten. With the fittings in place, I connected the pump to the pre-filter.
Next, I drilled the mounting holes in the frame and touched up the bare metal with Chassis Black. Then I mounted the assembly to the frame with stainless bolts and locknuts.

Last, I ran -6AN hose to a 10 micron post-filter. Since the cab isn't on, I don't know how much more hose I will need from here, so this will be a good stopping point.

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 04-22-2023 at 12:06 PM.
omodified is online now   Reply With Quote