Thread: 55 make over
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #64
nvrsatisfied

Re: 55 make over

so here is where i am today pretty much. there will be a total of 5 fold up compartments. these three in the rear and two opposite side of the fenders closer to the cab. these two will allow access to the compressors and anything else under the truck in those areas.

there is a bridge that goes fender to fender and floats when the center area is opened. this was defiantly a learning curve for me. my first idea was o.k. but didn't lift as high as i wanted, things were binding into themselves and not rolling along the fender like i wanted. the overall look is going to be good i think . next time around i know what to do to maybe make things work as a whole.

i did away with the factory straps and used 2"x1/8" strap. i welded the "bolt" to the bottom of the strap so the top is smooth. then the bolt goes down and catches the framing underneath with a nut and is counter sunk to help it seal off when completed. the two outside panels are lifted by hand and have rods to hold them up, which also fold back when not in use. the center is raised by two small struts. i have billet push button locks for all 5 of them when all is said and done.

things coming up are to fill in the area around the counter sunk flip up gas cap and bead roll that area. the center bottom pan will be bead rolled for strength and have an access door to the fuel level sender. the battery pan area will be removable to access the battery area for any reason. all the lids will be trimmed out to look clean and hide all the ugly work. the long lower pan will be welded together, bead rolled and an access pocket will hold two posts from the battery for any charging needs. this panel will be magnetized allowing it to be easily removable to access the main bed bolts, etc..

then it'll be off the other half of the bed..

i know i have missed a few things but that's the run down to where we are at now....till next time!
Attached Images

72 cheyenne super
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811512

55 chevy truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=840174
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote