View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 12:11 AM   #319
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

Over the weekend I picked up a 99$ Harbor Freight stud welder to pull out a few small dents in the fender and tailgate. Overall it worked great. Not too far into it I realized you can only yank on them so many times with the slide hammer before they will rip clean off... leaving a perfect 1/8" hole. No biggie, just added a little more time to the job welding them back up.

Then today I spent the day doing body work. I took it apart again to be able to have the parts at a good working position. Sanding is way less of a burden when you don't have to bend over or be in a strained position. I put the bed on a set of sawhorses, the doors and tailgate on folding stands which made the job not too bad. I covered the bedsides with a guide coat then used a large paint stirrer wrapped in 120 grit to sand and reveal the low spots. I was able to get the panels very close to straight and intend to move to high build primer next. I do need to spray more epoxy primer over the bare metal areas before the high build though.

I also added another tube of 3M 08307 Self Leveling Seam Sealer to the drip rails. The first time I did the job I accidentally wasted too much and didn't get them full enough for my liking. This time I did the opposite and actually have too much on the passenger front side of the roof. I had the back of the truck raised up so the seam sealer wouldn't all run down the backside of the window drip rails, but forgot to check for level side to side. I'm hoping to be able to sand it down some when it's fully cured.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote