View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 11:42 AM   #83
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Vintage 4wd Talk

Growing up as a son of a Gypo logger in North Idaho the family had a pretty dim view of the 4x4 fad at the time. Most of it had to do with showing up at the landing and finding equipment damaged or some truck stuck in the middle of a skid trail requiring it to be drug out of the way so work could begin. Then some time later would be the confrontation when the owner showed up to rescue their truck and found it not where they left it. Loggers generally don't take a lot of care to remove a vehicle that's blocking them from making money.

I was living in Virginia in the 80's and the mall crawler fad was big. Then about 1985 Virginia outlawed lifting or lowering vehicles. Back then the law enforcement agencies in the state took enforcement to heart. I got stopped at least 10 times in my GTO because the rear bumper looked to be too high. The limit was 20 inches and mine was 19 1/4". I always carried a tape measure because Johnny Law would set his 16" Mag light under the bumper and say my bumper was too high. Then I'd whip my tape out and say "Let's see for sure." Of course that usually would lead to further scrutiny of the car with mixed results.

Soon afterwards mall crawlers were dirt cheap. Last time I was back there in 1990 I saw several sitting next to houses most with 2 or 3 flat 44 inch tires, looking abandoned and forlorn.

Okay that's enough of my blathering.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote