View Single Post
Old 05-20-2023, 06:50 PM   #12
PbFut

Re: Obsessing over my AC 134 conversion

OK Good progress right until I ran it into a wall, so to speak. Found the leak with little effort. I failed to do a final tighten on one connection. Easy fix.
Pulled a vacuum and let is sit overnight. All good this AM.
I pulled in 7 more oz of oil as the compressor came with 3.
Pulled vacuum for another hour.
Purging feeder line and started introducing 134.
Got the 1st can in with little issue.
Second can seemed slower but it went in.
Go to put 3rd can and the seal fails to clear in the can. Me or the can or the tool?
I bought extra can so not concerned.
Next can won't release eighter. Not sure if it’s me or cheap China tool.
I can't even get refrigerant at the valve.
I am already getting pretty cold air so I stop to regroup.
I feel like its a good time to remove the connectors at the ports just to be sure and think this whole thing over.
Pull off the two connection hoses and the low side port adaptor is leaking. I tightened the adaptor not the Schrader and it gets worse. Back the adaptor off and the leak seams to stop. I know I checked the valve in the port adaptor before I put the unit on and it did not leak during pressure and vacuum test. Not thinking all the way through, I go to remove the adaptor, not remembering part of the procedure was to remove the original Schrader valve in the POA housing. There went 16 oz of 134.
SO, now I get to figure out is it my inexperience with the Refrigerant can or the Tap tool is bad. And I need to figure out if the low side adaptor is bad or I over tightened. That seems unlikely as I did not gorilla torque when installing but anything is possible when you've never done something like this before.
I hate doing things for the first time and no experienced partner looking over my shoulder.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote