View Single Post
Old 05-28-2023, 12:56 PM   #19
Johnl48

Re: Master cylinder question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
PbFut posted the correct information about reservoir size.

On the old drum brakes the reservoir did not have to be very large. As the brake shoes wore down the self adjusters compensated for the wear as the shoes got thinner over 30-50,000 miles.
Disc calipers do not have a mechanical method to adjust for wear of the pads. When the disc pads are new there is very little fluid stored behind the caliper pistons. At 50,000 miles, the stationary volume of fluid stored behind the caliper piston increases.

Hydraulic brake systems, drum or disc do not transfer a significant volume of fluid through the brake lines as you step on the brake pedal. You're transferring pressure from one end of the brake line to the other.

Most modern master cylinders use a single reservoir to feed the primary and the secondary pistons in the MC. Most of these reservoirs have a level sensor, which tells you the brake fluid in your 50,000 mile brakes now lives behind the caliper pistons.
So basically if I check the fluid on a regular bases I can stick with this mc ? Or do I need the dual reservoirs the same
Johnl48 is offline   Reply With Quote