View Single Post
Old 05-30-2023, 07:46 PM   #314
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

Still not much going on right now with the cab or otherwise. This weekend I installed a new part into the fuel system. Holley released a LiDar fuel sending unit that is really affordable. This eliminates the possibility of the float sticking on the mechanical unit that came with my Boyd tank. The Holley unit uses laser imaging to accurately report fuel levels. The supplied instructions were decent, but I found a YouTube video that filled in the gaps for me. I wired up the unit's positive and negative terminal to a 12v battery. Next, I wired my multimeter to the negative battery post and the output signal terminal on the fuel sending unit. Setup is fairly simple. First thing is a three point linear calibration. I wanted to set up for a 0-90ohm output. So, the first calibration point needed to be as close to 0 ohms as possible. The second calibration point should be right at 45 ohms. The third calibration point is 90 ohms. Next, I have to measure my tank depth, which is 9.75". I subtracted 0.50" for fuel reserves and calibrated the empty level point at 9.25" from a flat surface. Last, I calibrated full level by placing the sensor against the same flat surface. I had to adjust the calibration several times to get the level reading to make sense. Once, I got the readings correct, I installed onto the tank. I will wire this up later, once the cab is on. Since it is already setup, it will be plug and play with the dash.

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 06-09-2023 at 08:41 AM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote