View Single Post
Old 06-03-2023, 12:33 AM   #38
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Let's Talk about In-Cab Reproduction Gas Tanks and EEC vs non-EEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewt View Post
I believe the automatic trucks had three lines. Supply, return and the EEC vent. The manual trucks had two lines. Supply and EEC vent. Ive read somewhere the return line was to help with vapor lock issues.
No

If we assume GM's parts book doesn't lie on the subject, and I don't believe it does in this case, return lines were installed beginning in 72, not to say late model 71 wouldn't have one. My 71 A/C 402/400TH didn't have a return line. The pick-up is one line and the pump the same. More confirmation is my retainers took no more than three lines (brakes, vapor, gas). Some of the retainers take four with a return.

But seems you're right about automatics, at least some. I know a 72 with a TH transmission calls for a return line. You may be right about vapor lock too, perhaps more prone with A/C on? My truck has never vapor locked, knock on wood.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote