View Single Post
Old 06-07-2023, 09:52 AM   #35
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Anybody running manual disc brakes? Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
In your video, you are holding a old MC which you describe as being a power MC. It looks like it has a rubber dust boot on it. Rubber boots are used on manual master cylinder to keep dirt away from the exposed piston. The boots don't fit between the MC and the booster.
You should have a boot on your new manual MC.
super info thank you and I picked out the quote above because we thought the same thing after making the video and taking some measurement of the recess of the piston in the old rusty "power" drum/drum master cylinder to only find out it was also just as deep as the new manual disc drum one so about 1 1/2"

in my defense I bought that "power" one maybe 5 years ago and I specifically asked for a power drum/drum master cylinder, I am not sure i bought it as a kit with the vacuum booster but maybe, not pointing the finger but I wanted a power MC and I ranned it with a booster for like 5 years, hence me posting that FAQ about can you use a manual MC with the booster

anywho thanks for the tip on the rubber boot, that was the first thing I asked the counter guy at Oh Really's when he took it out of the box for us to stare at it, I said shouldn't it come with a rubber boot? he shrugged his shoulders

as a heads up, I didn't see any of the computer screens at AutoZone, Oh'Reilly's or NAPA say manual or power for any of the MCs we looked at they just specify drum/drum or disc/drum so I wonder if they are saying they are interchangeable, I don't know

once again I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that info up, I love learning this stuff, thank you very much

the pic below is from like 6 years ago when I first got the truck and put a new drum/drum brake MC on it
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote