View Single Post
Old 06-15-2023, 10:52 PM   #16
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: 1971 Buick Boattail Riviera

The Centurion tank was delivered today and I needed to decide how I was going to swap the filler neck. FYI the centurion tank is 2" narrower, the other dimensions are similar. The area where the tank straps go is also narrower but should be fine. Welding on the new tank can be done but with difficulty. The steel used is Ni terne treated which is coated in nickel then with a tin/lead mix I think. Basically solder. The old neck is soldered into the tank so I heated with a torch and blew it out with air. With a little effort it pulled out. Next I hammered the corner of the new tank where the neck would go. There is an internal copper tube that runs diagonally across the tank as a vent and the tank wall was punctured by it. The filler neck is about 2" diameter. I used a 1.5" hole saw and could have used slightly smaller. The extra material is for the inward flange. I cut off the vent tube shorter to get it out of the way. I used a 1-7/8" hitch ball to form the flange by simply hammering it into the hole. There is a baffle that goes across the middle of the tank and the filler tube should go through it but doesn't fit. The hole in the baffle is just a bit small. So I shortened the filler tube 6" and then cut a taper in the end so at least part of the tube fits through the baffle and is supported. All that's left is for me to solder the joint like the original. And to cut off and plug the center filler neck.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote